New kit for me and my 6 year old.

Hi all, enjoying having a look around the site!

Having just returned from Egypt and going on a stargazing evening in Sharm my 6 year old has seemed to have caught the bug. He also has an interest in birds (the flying variety) so I am wondering what the best route to take would be, some binoculars and a scope or just one or the other. I dont want to throw too much money at it just in case he doesnt take to the hobby but on the other hand I want him to be able to see things to keep his attention, so I suppose there is a cost/quality balance. I am a commercial photographer so I have access to a decent range of high end tripods if needed.

Thanks for any help or advice that might be given.

Cheers

Andy

welcome to sgl, which does he like more? For astro I would have suggested the heritage 130p

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

bins small enough for a 6 year old would not be great for astro probably one of the ultra compact would be best for him something like this perhaps http://www.opticshq.co.uk/acatalog/Visionary_6x18_micro_WP.html Unfortunately neither object are really ideal dual use.

These posts always get every answer possible.

Cost wise I have assumed £100 or less.

As he is 6 I will say a refractor. you can get reflectors but they tend to be fast and that means better collimation and better eyepieces, the latter beiing more costly. Also a number of the inexpensive reflectors tend to be spherical mirrors.

The German retailer TS, Telescope Service - has possibly the largest selection in one place.

They do a Starscope 70/700, 70mm dia, 700mm focal length at 74Euro

Think the same is sold here under a few names, try the Sky's the Limit site.

TS do a 80/900 at 140Eur about £120

There is the StarTravel 80, short refractor at 120Euro, £100, you would need to attach it to one of your tripods. Search a few of the UK retailers as most do these.

I would go for one of these and see if the interest is maintained.

If you were considering a more costly option, one that you would use as well in a semi-serious manner, then the Evostar 90 or even 102 refractor. If you were a factor in using one then maybe a move to reflectors in the 150PL dobsonian from Skywatcher.

As you said budget is a factor and who is to use it also. If really your son alone then the lower cost refractors, if you as well then I would say Evostar refractors or 150PL dobsonian.

Look up astro clubs around you, good to see a few in the flesh.

As you have tripods available you could mount some bins on one. You can learn your way around the sky more easily with them and they'd double up for bird watching. I'd go for a decent pair of 10x50 binoculars. You'd get good views of open clusters and brighter dso objects such as M 42 and you'd see the main moons of Jupiter etc. I have 2 scopes now but often just pop out with bins to have a look around the sky when I have a few minutes.

50mm binoculars are best hand held for astro work but will be too large for your 6 year old son you may want to consider getting a different pair for him. I would suggest posting in the binocular section as well as there are a couple of very knowledgable people who frequent there

Archived