Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another polar alignment question - home position

I've had my scope and mount for about two months and I'm really pleased with it but a thought was bugging me when I was setting up last night so I thought I'd come on here and check as I can't find the answer.

When I start out I polar align my mount and put Polaris in the little circle at the correct hour angle for whatever time it is I happen to be setting up.

I then move the scope back to the home position (scope pointing upwards at 90 degrees dec and weights straight down at the front).

After I've moved the scope back into the home position should I be making Polaris dead centre in my eyepiece? It's usually just off centre.

Normally I leave it at that and do a three star alignment with my Synscan. First star is normally just about in the eyepiece and by the last star everything is usually just about centre but not dead centre.

So, home position, should I be making Polaris appear dead centre in the eyepiece after polar aligning to make sure the home position is as accurate as possible to start off from? Or does it not matter?

If this is a stupid question, apologies in advance.

Thanks

Rob

Leave it where it is. You are not polar aligning to Polaris you are aligning to the Poles which is why it is a bit off center. If you 3-star align then put it back in the home position (Polaris still off center) and then select Polaris from the hand controler the mount would move a little to have it centered in your EP.

I agree with the other replies. You appear to be doing it correctly. Once your polar home position is set and you've rotated to place the circle over polaris at correct HA then just return to home position and do 3 star alignment.

Plus you are not Polar Aligning your telescope - you are Polar Aligning your mount.

Which are two completely different things. You can only Polar Align a mount. You cannot Polar Align a telescope.

You are doing it perfectly!

Cheers

Ian

Archived