Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

helios stellar 15x70 problem

BiG Man

ok would like to pick some of the members brains ,problem is (just noticed it) was testing the bins just looking over at a road sign which is the standard black lettering, noticed a sort of treble vision red & green outlines on the black lettering? I do wear glasses but not on this occasion I just adjusted the bins for my right & left eyes so image was sharp and clear (or so I thought) anybody experienced this red & black thing before? if so what is it ,and how do I fix it ,if it can be sorted how to do it and how easy is it to do?. remember I'm a novice at this so layman's terms please. Thanks Steve. ps bought bins second hand so don't know any history on them other than look very clean with no knocks or dints or marks to any of the lens evident.

This is from a review in CloudyNights by Stephen Tonkin (who is a member of this forum)

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=201

The colour correction is poor at the edge of field, and is poor for very high contrast objects everywhere but the central degree or so. However, this is a daytime limitation unless you intend to use it a lot on the Moon and bright planets, where I find it obtrusive unless the object is reasonably well centred. I noticed no false colour on Arcturus or Vega.

Further to what Themos quoted from my CN review, what you are seeing sounds like classic lateral chromatic aberration. It's inherent in the design of that particular binocular. You can minimise it by (a.) putting your target slap bang in the middle of the field of view and (b.) making sure your eyes are as near as dammit on axis with the binocular (this includes making sure the IPD is accurately set; if it isn't, no more than one eye can be on axis.)

Archived