SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyWatcher 10" 250PX Dobsonian scope Focusers

I purchased a MoonLite CR2 and haven't looked back, it's quality.

That said, plenty of others recommend the dual speed SkyWatcher focuser (about half the price of the MoonLite and from what I have read, not half the performance). But you can't choose the colour ;)

Seriously though, one thing to think about is how much gear you intend to put in the focuser. Heavier eyepieces, barlows, coma correctors etc. all nudge you in the direction of needing one of the premium focusers.

Plus I really like the fact the 1.25" eyepiece adapter that comes with the MoonLite has 2" filter thread so you can change eyepieces without having to mess around withh the filter you're currently using.

And then there's the non-marring compression rings that hold the eyepieces in place...

OK, I'll shut up now ;)

Should have said in my last post, if you go for the MoonLite then you'll also need the newtonian installation kit, another £35 or so. Whereas I believe that the SW dual speed focuser simply replaces the standard focuser.

After reading different reviews and looking at other focusers I have Decided the best deal is the Moonlite CR2 crayford focuser, Will need a fitting kit for it that fits existing screw holes, Should be an easy swap over and then will have the enjoyment of using a quality piece of kit to use thereafter, Certainly not cheap around £270 all in. But Worth it though to have a high precision made focuser to use can't wait for payday now to get it He He! :smile:

what is it about your existing focuser that your not happy with? these can be adjusted and work very well.

don't get me wrong I have dual speeds on all my focusers and really like them.

one of them is a Baader Steeltrack which is really excellent and comparable in almost all ways to a Moonlite. you might have to drill holes but this is quite straight forward. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-nt-newtonians.html

also, the Revelation dual speed R&P's seem pretty good http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Superfocus-2-inch-Newtonian-Rack-n-Pinion-Focuser.html

Archived