Stellarium + NEQ6 Pro Synscan = Problem.

Ok, so I tried the scope for the first time in several months, and this is what happened:

1. I start computers, mount etc.

2. I start Stellariumscope, connect to mount, ASCOM starts, and I start Stellarium.

3. Watch the video below. This is the sight that met me.

Now, why on earth is the scope in stellarium way off to the left of Polaris? And why does it overshoot with several lightyears when I do CTRL+1 in order to go-to Polaris?

Anyone got experience with this?

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Is your mount properly polar aligned? I had a similar problem with Starry Night and my alignment was slightly out.

I haven't polar aligned it yet as I haven't had the chance.

But still, the software doesn't know whether or not it is polar aligned. It just supposes it is. I could point the actual mount South, and it should still how the scope pointing at polaris in the software.

My problem here is that it seems that the scope is offset in the software by default. Even if I polar align it tonight, the scope inside Stellarium will still be pointing at the wrong spot, and it will still stear the scope the wrong way when trying to go-to Polaris, or any other star or planet for that matter.

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

I need to get this fixed tonight as tonight will be the only starry night in a while... I sincerely hope more people have experience with this.

I had this problem last year as well, first time I used it ever. But at that time I solved it by running Cartes du Ciel first, (which for some reason works correctly), THEN running Stellarium, and having IT work properly as well..

Shouldn't be necessary though.

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

My problem here is that it seems that the scope is offset in the software by default. Even if I polar align it tonight, the scope inside Stellarium will still be pointing at the wrong spot, and it will still stear the scope the wrong way when trying to go-to Polaris, or any other star or planet for that

Stellarium can't steer your scope to the wrong place. It will just give the mount drver a set of RA / DEC coordinates to goto to. Where the actual mount then points is entirely a function of the driver/mounts goto alignment model, site location and time.

Chris.

Stellarium can't steer your scope to the wrong place. It will just give the mount driver a set of RA / DEC coordinates to goto to. Where the actual mount then points is entirely a function of the driver/mounts goto alignment model, site location and time.

Chris.

Hmm, well... When I open Stellarium, why is the scope in the software not pointing at Polaris? It is pointing way off. Is there some kind of setting that I have completely missed? My GPS coordinates and everything are correct and identical in the handset, stellarium, ASCOM etc. Same with time and date. The scope mount itself is pointing to the north.

I don't understand why the scope inside the software is not pointing at Polaris, and why it overshoots when trying to go-to Polaris from its current location. Also, if I've used CTR+1 in order to go-to once, I cannot go-to any other object unless I've driven it back to PARK position... If you look at the video, you'll see what I mean.

It is so weird...

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

You say your mount is pointing North but as I said earlier, is it correctly Polar aligned? That WOULD make a difference.

Gonna polar align tonight. Looks like I got a window of clear skies.

Anyhow, I figured something out by mistake.

I accidentally disconnected the scope inside the Stellarium Plugin Scope Control thingy... When I reconnected it, I noticed that the virtual scope in the software had moved to the last known location.

So I moved it to Polaris, had Polaris selected inside Stellarium, then disconnected and reconnected, and Lo and Behold - virtual scope pointed at Polaris.

I went back to Park mode, which at this time is juuuust above Polaris, and slewed to Polaris, and the mount moved to the same angle and direction as the polar scope is pointing.

This might just be solved.

Note however, that I still need to open Cartes Du Ciel BEFORE I can do anything constructive in Stellarium.

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Archived