Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new 10" Dob

Hi all,

I got myself a GSO 10" Dob, it arrived yesterday. Got it assembled last night, typically it was cloudy here so didn't really get a chance to use it. It's my first ever scope.

Couple of questions:

The primary mirror appears to be a little chipped along about half of its circumference. Not major chips, I reckon about 1 or 2 mm in from the edge, much less wide than the width of the three clips holding the mirror, looks like glass that has been cut without a clean break. Will try and get a photo of it. Please tell me this is nothing to worry about! All of the photos I have seen on the net show a mirror with pretty smooth edges....I didn't find any glass chippings in the packaging, making me think it left the factory like this.

What's the best way to tighten the alt bearing nuts? Arms won't reach inside, so either the primary or secondary will have to come off. Have read about this problem, but no mention of how to actually get to the nuts.

What's the best way to stiffen up the azimuth movement? The base rotates on metal roller bearings, but there is not enough friction and it moves too easily.

What animal do I need to sacrifice to the weather gods to ensure clear skies?

Thanks for reading this far,

Tom

I'v e got the 12" revelation dob which is suppost to be the same scope under a different badge. Runs on roller bearings and if I need to tighten the azimuth I take the ota off [tube], fliip the rocker box over [the base] and pinch tighten the central nut and bolt till I'm happy with the friction. As for the alt' tightness, I tighten the 2 knobs which are connected to 2 springs, [1 either side of the rocker box]. Hope that's helped some.

Rob.

Archived