Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

opinions on Opticron WP HR 8x42

Bender

I am currently looking for a good quality bino mainly for stargazing and came across the Opticron WP HR 8x42. From what i can read on birding forums this looks like a winner. Wondering if anyone had experience with it for stargazing.

• 3 weeks later...

i took the plunge and order a pair of Opticron WP HR 8x42 after my local binocular shop did not have them in stock.

i had a few niggles with my Leica Trinovid that left me feel undecided towards them, after initial praise of them.

first was a fair amount of rectangular distortions that left me feel see sick after a observation session. Straight lines started to bend pretty quickly from the centre on. Secondly stars did not stay pinpoint over the fov, something I just take for granted now in my telescope with decent eps.

so I started to look around if I could find something better and came across the Opticron WP HR. people on birding forums generally praised hem for their sharp and bright views that rival more expensive competitors. The downside is a narrow fov and a slow focuser.

i received binos a few days ago. Initial impressions are positive. The rubber is surely not in the same league as the amor from my Leica but its good and given that the binos cost a quarter there is nothing to complain about. Ergonomis are fantastic. Some observer complain that they found it difficult to reach the focuser knob with their finger tips. For me, being 2 m tall and having the hands that go with this size, they fit perfectly.

The focuser is certainly slow, but for stargazing this is irrelevant. The smaller fov (112 vs 126m) is probably a personal taste as well. Some people like wider view eps and some prefer narrow views. I personally found the fov (6.5 degrees) not to restrictive to feel obstructive.

the biggest question was of course how the 2 compare optically. And here I can whole heartedly confirm earlier reviews. Looking for an hour today at clear patches between the clouds and constantly swapping between both binos I can't really see much of a difference in the centre region of the fov. Stars seems to be similarly bright and sharp. The Opticron has a smaller fob and the total area where stars are pin point sharp is certainly smaller, but is was enough to have a great view of the plejards and the double double just fitted in (but when looking at both a doubles at the same time, stars started to bloat somewhat)

Andromeda looked the same wit and ever so slight preference for perceived increased brightness to the Opticron.

Only on Jupiter was the light better controlled in the Leica. It gave a nice clean circle whereas the Opticron showed slight flares around buts then Jupiter is hardly the main target for a binocular.

I will continue to compare both but sofar the Opticron seems to be a worthy alternative.

• 3 months later...

Archived