NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tales from Santa Luce, Tuscany, Episode I: July 23-26, 2013

This is the first report of objects seen during my four-week stay at a farm near Santa Luce, Tuscany. The skies were pretty dark on the whole, with a brilliant Milky Way visible, but some LP was present. Pisa and Livorno in the north-west were annoying, as were some nearby villages. The views were best to the south west, and to a lesser extent to the south, in particular in between a gap between trees and main farm building. Last year's place near Cahors in France was definitely darker, but for sheer number of clear nights I could not have wished for more. I had access to essentially all my astro-gear (except observing chair and p-mount) courtesy of the Renault Espace we drive. This first batch is a set of short sessions from early in the stay.

July 23: Short session mainly with C8, as early moon-rise rather spoiled DSO viewing.

Venus was observed first using 15x70 bins, which showed the gibbous phase quite well.

Saturn was a bit higher up, but seeing was still very poor. The Cassini division could not be made out at all.

M13: always nice, despite encroaching moonlight

M57: Best with UHC filter for same reason.

After that I packed in the gear, because, although the moon was already spoiling the fun, it could not be seen due to trees to the east.

July 25: Daytime session with LS35

Solar session with many nice proms, including one detached prom. First light of my DMK21

Evening session with German family

Saturn was better than the day before, and even the XW10 could be used. The Cassini division was visible from time to time, and Titan and one moon were showing. A German family staying at the same farm joined in, and were amazed at their first sight of another planet through a telescope.

Venus was not good at all, boiling away in the atmospheric turbulence.

M13 was very nice indeed, and another eye-opener for my guests, as was M57 (this time great with or without UHC filter).

I gave them a quick tour of M11, M17, M18, M8 and M22, all wonderful summer show pieces. I had a quick look at Antares, but quickly gave up trying to split that discoball (being a rocker/headbanger, I never liked disco ;)).

A bit later I could show them M51 and M81 & M82. Moonrise put an end to the fun, but both my guests and I were pleased at spotting such a nice collection of goodies (even if they were all old friends to me).

July 26: Daytime session with LS35

Solar session with detached prom still showing. First attempts at animation made.

Late evening: 15x70 binocular session

Standing on the other side of our house, I could glimpse just a little further south, so I had a look at M6 and M7, followed by M4, M8, M16, M17, M18, M24 and M22. These Helios Apollo bins are really great for scanning the milky way, and all its summertime treasures. Moonlight was not as troublesome, but building haze made me quit observing.

To be continued ......

• 1 month later...

Archived