NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

nebulosity on linux

Erquy

You're better off installing Oracle VM VirtualBox instead of using Wine.

Wine is really a pain, there is always something missing or crashing.

Alternatively, the good old XP works pretty well ;)

Thks.

I am only interested in the processing part.I have an old desktop running slow on xp and would like to use it for processing (larger screen and more comfortable - i have a good laptop for acquisition with Windows) Since my 1 st post i tried installing lubuntu (runs like a charm on the desktop, very smooth and fast using gimp, rawtherapee for example) and wine but no success to start up nebulosity -i tried wine with other Win exe and works-( i use latest lubuntu, nebulosity3).

I

will give it further trials and let know

Update: It is working now, I don´t know how, i have not done anythign apart a simple reboot.

And it works really well: I batch pre-process 15 light +8 darks +8 flats/batch normalize/batch demosaic/align (transition/manuallly) and final stak in 12 minutes in total while still having GIMP and Firefox running, all smoothly without hanging few seconds (also further image processing windows are opening faster and smoother, more reactive). Not bad for an old Dell Dimension of 1 Ghz, 1 Gb ram from 2006! Under XP, I can hardly make anything running in parallel to nebulosity otherwise it becomes very slow and hanging very often for a few secs. Also it took some more minutes to process above in XP (same files).

I notice also GIMP running much smoother under lubuntu. And not the least, the computer starts in about less than 1 minute and shut down in few secs (while with XP we speak about 3 to 5 minutes to start up completely and sometimes more on shutdown -despite I cleaned up the XP as much as possible with uninstalled soft I don´t use, avoid start up root on number of things -but apart a clean install, I don´t think I can get much more around, I guess may be normal after 7 years using XP on this computer and accumulating too much things?)

Beside astro and imaging software, I also install some of other soft I need for daily purpose and everything works fine so far. I am still on a dual boot, but if everything works fine for a few months, I will then most likely quit Windows XP on this desktop. A good way to give it a new life to an old computer! (I will still use windows on the laptop and for example processing planetary on registax/pipp/AS2 which runs great on it)

Archived