Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Symbiotic and Wolf Rayet spectra!

Hi guys

Stayed in the excellent constellation of Cygnus the evening of 030813 and shot a couple of Symbiotics and Wolf Rayet spectra.

Symbiotic - CH Cyg and CI Cyg

Wolf Rayet - WR 134 and WR 135

post-15973-0-17913900-1375632559_thumb.j post-15973-0-27484000-1375632578_thumb.j

post-15973-0-83286500-1375632637_thumb.j post-15973-0-23971600-1375632666_thumb.j

Data from Francois Teyssier`s Low Resolution Spectroscopy guide and Christian`s Astrosurf.com web site

Steve

Cygnus certainly has it's share of targets be they for imaging or spectra. Nice examples.

Are these spectra raw or instrument corrected, its just that the continuum of the symbiotics looks unusual (u shaped)? If it's just to identify lines then raw spectra or continuum removal may suffice.

I can see a lot of effort went into these. You must be building quite a decent spectral catalog. Thanks for posting.

cheers

John

Hi Steve,

The U-shape looks like a bit of over correction, i.e. boosting the blue and red ends of the spectrum a tad too much. What did you use to get the correction, Vega and was this on the same date?

cheers

John

do you tend to (or indeed should you?) create a new reference curve every night?

That is probably open to debate. The correction is more accurate using a reference star at a similar elevation and conditions as your target. As you are using an sa100, it shouldn't be too much hassle to grab the Vega spectrum first (because Vega is about 2 hours ahead of targets in Cygnus your case). You will probably find that your Vega spectra vary.

John

Nice spectra gasman! - I especially like the WR134 and WR135 spectra :smiley: . I have been working on WR134 myself recently.

I'll post some of my spectra up on the forum shortly

cheers

John

Archived