Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attempting the S. Delta Aquariids

As I understand it, we'll be soon graced with the peak of a fairly good-sized meteor shower. Myself and two others talked about camping out and trying our luck. We might even have a secondhand telescope and some binoculars (not that those will really help with shooting stars), so I'd like to do this right.

I've been told that here in the States, the peak will be tomorrow, the the night of July 28 and predawn hours of July 29. Is this correct? Those were the dates I picked up from my research.

Any other tips would be infinitely helpful. None of us have ever attempted to watch a meteor shower and I'd really like to have at least one under my pelt before Perseids comes along in a couple of weeks.

Hoping for clear skies!

I know it's a bit late now, but the better Perseids (peak 12th Aug) are still to come, and they should be good this year! (no Moon)

As you have probably already identified, the naked eye and a sun lounger are the best tools. It also helps to know roughly where to look to see the most meteors and avoid light pollution.

http://www.meteorwatch.org/ is a good website with guides and probably will help you out more than I can.

Archived