cygnus take 2.

Had another go at cygnus. Much happier with this one. reframed and the red toned down.

This little lens is so much fun.

Canon 500 modded.

Nifty fifty stopped down to f/3.5

10 x 300' @ iso800

5 x darks

10 x Flats

10 x bias

Dont know if my flats have worked or if the vignetting effect is part of the feature?

post-26977-0-13074900-1374595761_thumb.j

Also managed to grab the Elephant & Pelican

Same setup as above.

post-26977-0-03754900-1374596031_thumb.j

Any advice on making these better would be appreciated.

thanks for looking.

Nice images Adam. I may be wrong but not sure if you should need flats for a focal length so short? Have you tried stacking without the flats as well? If i ever have a problem with a stack, i put them through DSS again without the flats and my problem is usually sorted!

Well done :)

the focus is better in the 2nd one ... focus on a bright star on a thirds point rather than the centre of the frame. This will help star shapes around the edges and in the corners

There are quite a lot of dark features in Cygnus..

You need flats even with short focal length lenses I use a white screen image displayed fullscreen on my netbook or tablet I use Av mode to get an exposure value and then set that shutter speed in M Mode to shoot the flats...

I move the screen around between shots to average out any slight variation in brightness...

Peter...

Thank you Peter.

I had another go at this when you said I had the pelican just out of shot in my last attempt. Your advice and tips are greatly appreciated. I've read about focusing on a thirds point in many of the threads. I didn't think it would make a difference with such a small lens. I use my iPad for my flats but leave it in av mode. I'll be trying these tips on my next session.

Adam

should also mention the fact there's a lot of green noise usually means the conditions wernt the best high cloud normally cause's this. also how do you find that TS65 im after a really widefield scope at some point

I love the scope. It's great with the dslr and I've just had a go with the CCD. Nice round stars right up to the edge. I like it that much I'm thinking of buying its big brother the TLAPO80Q. The green noise might be from the cls filter?

Archived