Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody here using a helical focuser?

I'm wondering how these are for fine-tuning your focus without the FOV quivering like jelly. My eps are roughly parfocal, so I only need a little bit of focus when I change, and I'm thinking if this does good fine focusing, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a Crayford.

Any takers?

I've used them, but it was a combination type. That is, the main focus was rack and pinion while ultra-fine focus was helical. It was really great, allowing extremely fine focussing. I used another, purely helical focuser once that was a major pain because my EP's were not parfocal, so it took quite a bit to focus from one to another and back. Once rough focus was reached, the helix made fine focus smooth and precise. (But the journey still s*cked.)

HTH

I've got one on a Borg 77ED. It uses a combination of a drawtube to reach rough focus, then a helical for fine focus. It is great, but I find if the scope isn't well mounted, then the torque needed to turn the helical makes the FOV wobble a fair bit.

I use one on my 10" Newtonian in combination with the standard rack and pinion focuser. I find it much easier to constantly twiddle the helical to tease out the right focus than the R&P which I only use for the coarse focus.

One issue I do face though is that the collimation seems to go off depending on whereabouts the helical is. Using the Chesher EP straight in the R&P I've got perfect collimation, but sticking it in the end of the helical (makes more sense as that's where the EPs go) the collimation can vary quite a bit as I turn it (but never as bad as enough to make me want to remove the thing altogether!)

Paul

I love them - makes focussing really easy. I have always had one on my 8.5" Newtonian - used to be an old Fullerscopes 1.25" one with a brass drawtube, but the threads became rather loose (after 25 years!) which made collimation totally impossible, so this year I have replaced it with a cheap 2" Antares one from Rother Valley Optics. This seems to work well - the focussing is almost too fine (!) - although the mounting arrangement is a bit low tech (four screws with virtually no clearance from the focusser threads). I find them rather handy for focussing a camera, as you can take test shots at 1/4, half, 3/4 turn etc just by looking at the angle the camera is rotated at.

NigelM

Hi Chuenmanc,

Yes, the EP screws into the helical, so everything rotates. I got it maybe 18 months ago...from memory I think it was from Orion for around £30. I first suspected that the whole focuser assembly wasn't square with the OTA, but I assume that since collimation is fine without the helical, then the helical is the problem. Still, last night I used it with the f5 10" and was able to tease out some Martian detail which perplexingly I couldn't get from my f8 150mm evostar (maybe too much glare / CA?), so I'll be sticking with the helical :icon_jokercolor:

Paul

Archived