NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 SynScan goto installation - Help Please

Hello, I am a newby to the site. I would be greatful for some help on the following.

I have had my Helios 120MM refractor for about 7 years and not really used it much. I found the continuous manual adjustments annoying to keep the subject on target. After saving up some funds, I decided to purchase the EQ3 SynScan Goto upgrade for my EQ3-2 mount. The instructions were rather poor but after looking on the internet for further guidance, I'm sure that I have fitted it correctly.

I started the system and carried out an alignment. Everything seems to be moving in the correct way. However, the RA motor seems to sometimes make a bit of a noise that does not sound right. It moves the telescope at first quiet smoothly but it seems to be towards the end of its alignment that it starts to get noisy. Is this correct? I have taken off the motor and refitted it a couple of time to ensure that its aligned correctly. The DEC motor is not noisy and seems to work smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try connecting the ra motor without attaching it to the mount and give it a test run. Then turn your mount through 360 just to make sure it is not catching anywhere. If the motor is making a noise during operation check the gears are correctly aligned. It is a very fine adjustment to get the gears right without backlash. If i rember correctly there are two gears on the motors, make sure the one not engaged to the gear on the mount is not touching. Give it all a good greasing but only on the gears, dont get any grease on the motors. Like already stated get the balance right in dec and ra.

good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I checked the balance of the mount first off all and it was wrong. I set it up again and the motor is now running correctly. I feel a bit of an idiot. Thanks again for the replies.

I wouldn't worry I had the same issues after fitting my goto upgrade, even started stripping the mount down expecting to see broken teeth/worm gear,but all was ok

I had actually started using a 32mm 2" eyepiece and the difference in weight from the stock eyepieces was enough to upset the balance and cause the motor to start clicking awfully.

I rebalanced the scope and everything was then ok :laugh:

Archived