NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting Saxon 76mm reflector to EQ3-2 mount

I want to start astrophotography and have been given a copy of "Make Every Photon Count". I want to get an EQ3-2 mount with motor (and GoTo eventually) but want to be sure I will be able to connect it to my Saxon 76mm reflector. Any tips?

You will need a set of rings to match the diameter of your telescope tube and a dovetail bar to match the mount. The 76 reflector is usually mounted on an AZ mount so the rings may not be available in the correct diameter (measure the diameter of the tube first). Another thing you will need to consider is that the telescope may not have sufficient inwards focuser travel, which is usually remedied by moving the primary mirror further up the tube.

Thanks. So the rings go around the telescope and screw onto the dovetail bar mounted on the mount? Are they universal fixings or do I need to be careful which bar/rings combo I get? The second hand mounts I've seen seem to come with dovetail bars already, but I thought they were to mount a DLSR to the top of the scope?

If you get a dovetail bar that is "Vixen / Skywatcher Compatible" (the most common type) it should fit the EQ3-2 mount which has a dovetail clamp to fit such bars. Be sure to get a version of the EQ3-2 that has such a fitting as some of the early ones are fitted with a saddle instead which requires the tube rings to be bolted straight onto the saddle. Getting tube rings to fit your scope might be the biggest challenge as Peter says. Getting a DLSR to focus with the scope could also be a headache as I don't think the scope is designed with photography in mind.

First Light Optics (link at the top of the page) sell mounts, tube rings and dovetail bars but you can get them used on the UK Astro Buy & Sell website too:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

It might be worth having a chat to the folks at First Light to avoid abortive expenditure. They are very friendly :smiley:

Archived