Are Orion eyepieces good

The good news is most plossls should be sharp at f/8.3. Can't say I've had any experience with these eyepieces but I'd be surprised if they don't perform. Out of interest, is it a reflector or refractor you have, as this may have an impact on the distortions you might be expecting.

I don't have Any Orion eyepieces but wanted to ask anyone if they have the Sirius or highlight Plossls would they be sharp to the edge in a f/8.3 scope Dale

I seem to remember you used to own a 25mm Sirius plossl - what did you think of it ?.

John how did you know that?? It was ok I wanted more wider fov so in got a rare UO 24mm koning

What is actually going on here? because it feels a bit weird asking questions to which you know the answers. It's happened in a few posts now and its starting to feel a bit like a test. Is there a problem?

John how did you know that?? It was ok I wanted more wider fov so in got a rare UO 24mm koning

I'm a long time member of the Cloudynights forum and hang out on the eyepieces section there.

It does seem odd to me at least that you pose a question, as you have here, without any indication that you have actually already owned and used the eyepiece in question.

Maybe thats just me though :smiley:

How do you know rowan, that he knows the answer to his question? Hes asking if the sirius performs well at 8.3... If he did own one in the past perhaps it was with a different scope...

How do you know rowan, that he knows the answer to his question? Hes asking if the sirius performs well at 8.3... If he did own one in the past perhaps it was with a different scope...

It was me who queried that, not rowan46.

The Orion Sirius plossls and Orion Highlight plossls are just two different quality variations of GSO plossls IIRC - so are slightly beaten in quality by the current Chinese Meade 4000s, then beaten more so by the older Japanese 4000s, 3000s and TeleVue Plossls.

I would not expect any Plossl to be truly sharp to the edge on bright stars even in an F8 scope - not even the TeleVues.

Forgot to say that - although this doesn't affect you over in the USA, Orion astronomical products are generally marked-up in price too much by the time they reach the British consumer, with identical competing brand equivalents available at much more competitive prices.

http://www.excelsis.com/1.0/entry/orion-megavista-16.8mm-22-124.html?PHPSESSID=27ab0cc8166d43c7369c85fce877e7a0

I own this, best ep i have. HOwever, i use it quite a bit for birding, and its prone to blackouts. Very sharp image and more or less 0 chromatic aberation. This one is made in japan(or claims to be). Like alot of stuff, its all chinese made now......dip in quality perhaps??

i've got an old 10.5mm Orion megavista. It's a peach. There is a long standing rumour that both the 10.5 and the 16.8 megavista were actually made by Takahashi. Don't know whether it's true or not.

RL

Archived