NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upgrading the standard HEQ5

I've found someone willing to sell me the motherboard & stepper motors to add go-to functionality to my standard HEQ5, without having to buy the hand controller part of the kit. This will cost me around 200£. Seem like a good deal?

This will effectively turn my HEQ5 into a HEQ5 Syntrek I suppose, without an illuminated polarscope & of course it'll be black. But other than that, there's no difference is there?

The reason I'm avoiding the hand controller is because I want to control it entirely through my laptop with EQmod. Here's where I got a bit confused, maybe someone can clear it up for me: if I buy a http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/HitecAstro_EQDIR-1.html cable, is it the cable to the left in that picture? and I don't need anything other than that? And no serial connector is needed at all. So the new motherboard on my HEQ5 will have 3 connections, 1 for the laptop (normally used for hand controller), 1 for the power adapter and lastly the third is a guideport, correct?

And as I understood it, I don't even ever need to use this guideport, I can simply get EQmod to do the adjustments through the normal connector with 'pulseguiding.' The only times you use the ST-4 guideport is if you have a guide camera with an inbuilt ST-4 connection to feed information directly to your mount, is that right?

Archived