NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sw 127 Mak and Flatner/Reducer?

Hi Lensman!

I have used a Antares 0.5x Focal Reducer with my Mak 127 with some success with DSO imaging especially imaging Globular clusters and Planetary Nebulas, Here the FR help to widen the narrow field of view much better and help to reduce the image scale a bit and speeded up the light photon collecting lowering the Focal ratio down from F11.8 to F5.9. It works a treat! However you cannot get a FF/FR for a Mak, but it's not necessary that you need a field flattener. But a 0.5x focal reducer is a must if you want image small DSO's! You can get one from RVO for around £35 for a 1.25" size (however this depends on your eyepiece holder size, I know some Mak 127's do now the 2" fitment, so please check first before you buy?) Also I would ask FLO if they stock them as well?

Hi Lensman!

I have used a Antares 0.5x Focal Reducer with my Mak 127 with some success with DSO imaging especially imaging Globular clusters and Planetary Nebulas, Here the FR help to widen the narrow field of view much better and help to reduce the image scale a bit and speeded up the light photon collecting lowering the Focal ratio down from F11.8 to F5.9. It works a treat! However you cannot get a FF/FR for a Mak, but it's not necessary that you need a field flattener. But a 0.5x focal reducer is a must if you want image small DSO's! You can get one from RVO for around £35 for a 1.25" size (however this depends on your eyepiece holder size, I know some Mak 127's do now the 2" fitment, so please check first before you buy?) Also I would ask FLO if they stock them as well?

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I do have a 0.5X reducer that I purchased from Modern Astronomy, I also have bought a used Meade 0.63 FF/FR to use with my SW 80 ED but as yet I have not managed to use it, will certainly give this a try and report back if this lousy weather permits us.

Regards,

A.G

• 1 month later...

I bought a 0.5 reducer for my 127 Mak from the bay. Introduced coma in a massive way - see pic. Certainly didn't pay 35£ for it. I will ask FLO what they think...

post-17961-13746261931_thumb.jpg

Look at the stars away from the Center... This is a fairly unprocessed SPC900 mono pic of M82...

I bought a 0.5 reducer for my 127 Mak from the bay. Introduced coma in a massive way - see pic. Certainly didn't pay 35£ for it. I will ask FLO what they think...

post-17961-13746261931_thumb.jpg

Look at the stars away from the Center... This is a fairly unprocessed SPC900 mono pic of M82...

Hi,

I am sorry that miss quoted the price, it was about £20.00 mark and I wanted to use it with my SynGuider on an ST80, something that I have not done yet, I will try the Meade series 4000 reducer and see what I might get out of it although it probably works better with my ED scopes.

Regards,

A.G

Archived