Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brightstar Camera Rotator? Anyone used one?

RyanParle

I've been looking at camera rotators for some time now, and have mostly been put off of buying one due to the fact that they tend to be very expensive, I even considered building my own, but decided against the idea because would have no way of getting the software part done, then recently i discovered the Brightstar Rotator on Modern Astronomy, at £399 it is a lot more affordable than any of the other brands & its spec claims to support a reasonable amount of weight (certainly more than i would need to load it with)

i am interested to know if anyone here has used these rotators & would like to share their experiences.

I have one that I use to rotate a brightstar manual filter wheel and SXVR camera. The need for rotation was to set the direction of the spectra to avoid overlap with a SA100 grating.

It is well engineered and the only problem I had was that while I could get the supplied software to run on Win XP I could not get it to run under Win 7 64bit. I could however control it via ASCOM from The Sky X. It is well built with just a small amount of backlash.

I would check the software is compatable with your OS. Brightstar did send some updated software but as I use TSX I never tried it.

Regards Andrew

Archived