Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Night vision scope?

I know it's not particularly to do with astronomy, but when I'm out in the garden I sometimes look at the wildlife too, and it would be nice to have a good night vision monocular so that I can see that hedgehog snuffling around the bird feeder or the owl hooting in the tree, without having to resort to shining a torch in their faces and ruining my night vision (I'm aware that a monocular may do this anyway though depending on the type).

Has anyone experience of these, what's good and what's not? I don't want to go mad money-wise, just something that has a little magnification and presents a nice easy image at the eyepiece. Not expecting anything like they have on Springwatch, but as close as possible without breaking the bank.

Do you mean night vision as in low light or as in infra red detection (passive)?

Luna make a 3x monocular at about £190.

It has an IR illuminator so I assume it is not using the IR off of whatever is being looked at.

Model: Luna Optics LN-SX3

That sounds like the sort of thing. I have looked before but there are so many it's difficult to know what's good, and finding a subjective review is hard (pro websites tend to only look at the very expensive models).

Archived