CGEM start up fault…

Laurie61

I have a cgem mount bought new in dec 2009. It has developed a set up fault and I was wondering if anybody else had experienced something similar and found a fix? With the mount powered up it asks for time/date and then two star alignment option. I usually scroll down to solar system and pick a planet or moon just for a quick set up. Instead of waiting for a solar system target to be selected the mount starts to slew as soon as you have entered solar system option and it keeps going. It is the RA axis moving. It has done this once before and then started working again. Last night after setting up for a run on Saturn the problem returned. Has anybody any ideas as to what it might be? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the electronics in some of these mounts appear to be weak. I had my first CGEM less than a month before it went back and was replaced due to the mount displaying an error communicating with the motors. Mine would work fine in the house at room temperature but not outside on an evening in the cold. FLO and Celestron were very good and replaced the mount.

Having read many posts and blogs at the time I had my issue, the problem may be similar and may be a communication problem with the motors. Sometimes this is just caused by the plug connecting the motor to the chip board in the mount being a little loose. This is very easy to check, all you need to do is remove the side panel which has the chip board mounted on the rear. The motors are then just inside on the other side of the mount.

I would just unplug and reconnect each one, a) to check they are connected right and B) the process of unplugging and reconnecting will help clean the terminals.

Hope that helps,

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks red dwarf82, i missed your reply until now. My original mount was faulty on delivery and the nice folk at flo arranged a replacement. This has worked ok since then, Xmas 2009. I had one of the first cgem's in the uk. This fault looks similar to the original with uncontrolled slewing. It is now long out of warranty (2 years). I will try your idea and see if it helps. Thanks :smiley:

Archived