Skywatcher Explorer 130

Hi all, I may be in the position to upgrade from my old Tasco frac soon and have noticed the Skywatcher Explorer 130 is only £115 at First Light optics at the mo so looking for opinions from the more experienced!

Would the fact it's not parabolic be an issue and how would it compare to the Heritage 130? I'm still very much a beginner who likes a bit of everything and if I'm honest I'm not fanatical yet! So not really looking to spend too much.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ryan, I do not have this scope but have seen quite a few reviews, and all are very positive, a few complaints about the red dot finder that's all, however, that can be replaced. I think it would make a great starter scope overall, and for the price it is unbeatable in my opinion. I don't know about the difference between parabolic and spherical mirrors I am afraid, I will leave that for others to comment on, but you should get some great views with this telescope. Compared to the Heritage 130P, which also gets some great reviews I think the former is better, as the Heritage 130P you have to mount on a table or chair, but with the added advantage it is lighter and more portable. I note the 130 (EQ-2) also has a better focal ratio of f/6.92 compared to f/5 on the Heritage, which should make its performance on Moon and planets a better experience, as well as being kinder to eyepieces. So in summary I would go for the 130 (EQ-2).

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the EQ-2 I think, don't really need it to be too portable and I think viewing on a table with my kids jumping all over it might prove frustrating! I have a birthday coming up so hopefuly my family will be generous!

Archived