Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS Help with LRGB

I'm trying to stack my first LRGB CCD image and I've hit another wall! I've successfully stacked the luminenece but the red will only stack one sub as it says not enough stars are detected. I have the slider set to minimum at 2% and DSS computes 41 stars when I ask it to check which should be enough?

I have been following the settings in this tutorial:

http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/tutorial-registering-and-calibrating.html

The red data is binned 2 x 2 as are the flats and bias frames that I'm stacking with it.

Any ideas??!!

Thanks,

John

I don't use DSS but you most certainly should not combine L and RGB before post processing. The priorities in L and RGB are entirely different. L is about faint signal and sharp resolution. RGB is about low noise and intense colour. Resolution is not at all important. I combine post prcessed L and RGB in Photoshop.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Hi Olly,

Thanks for the reply, I was trying to stack separatley. I have managed to stack and save the luminence and cleared the list except for and unchecked luminence frame which I am using as reference. The wheels fall off when I try and stack the red, I'm stumped!

John

Hi Zakalwe,

Thanks for the reply, I had opened each sub first in Gimp and narrowed it down. In fact I have thrown loads away as Artemis was struggling with a bad USB connection. I have only left myself with about 4 300 second subs of red which I know won't give me an amazing image but wanted to learn the stacking procedures. Could it be that 4 subs is not enough?!

Thanks,

John

Hi Zakalwe,

Thanks for the reply, I had opened each sub first in Gimp and narrowed it down. In fact I have thrown loads away as Artemis was struggling with a bad USB connection. I have only left myself with about 4 300 second subs of red which I know won't give me an amazing image but wanted to learn the stacking procedures. Could it be that 4 subs is not enough?!

Thanks,

John

I've stacked 2 subs before. In fact DSS will "stack" a single sub!

Archived