Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak Telescope or Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak

I have been thinking about a telescope and astronomy for some years but have never taken it up. Now I am really interested. What is the difference between these two scopes (other than £100 in difference) ? I would like to view moon and planets but also some of the more interesting deeper space objects. Please give me your sage advice. Many thanks.

Hello - welcome to Star Gazers Lounge :D

I have just take delivery of a Skymax 127 Supatrack. The 127 is a longer focal length scope of the Maksutov Cassegrain design which is ideal for planets, the moon and other high power work. It will also do DSO's of course but it's long focal length means a narrower field of view - generally DSO's are viewed at medium-low power and a wider field of view.

If I did not already have a nice widefield refractor scope, I would have probably gone for the Explorer 130P SupaTrak which is a shorter focal length scope which can still show nice high power views.

TBH it's quite difficult to find scopes which are truly "all rounders" - which is why many of us seem to end up owning more than one scope :(

John

Hello Rik1970! and welcome to SGL.

I echo John's sentiments. Difficult to get a truly "all round" scope. The Skywatcher 130PM with motor drive is a good all round scope. I had one for about four years (before I got "aperture fever" and upgraded to an 8" Reflector), and it is a good performer which will give you good views of the planets, stars and some of the deeper sky objects (galaxies and Nebulae). This scope has a 5.5" mirror, and it's on an equatorial mount. I think it is sellling for around £150 now, which does represent very good value for money. (mine cost £195 four years ago!)

I'm sure you'll receive plenty of advice over the next few days! (Ask plenty of questions!)

Best wishes on your final choice.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived