Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon Coolpix 4300?

Hi all

I would like to know if a Nikon coolpix 4300 4.0mp ccd Digital camera with T-thread be suitable for astrophotography?

• 4-megapixel effective CCD for images up to 2272x1704 pixels
  • Nikkor 3x optical zoom (38-114mm in 35mm equivalent)
  • Macro focus with AF down to 1.6 inches
  • 1.5-inch TFT color monitor
  • EN-EL1 rechargeable battery and charger included
  • Programmed AE and 12 Scene exposure modes
  • Single, Continuous, UHS Continuous, 16-Shot Multi and QuickTime Movie modes
  • Shutter speeds from 1/1000 sec. to 8 sec's
  • Built-in flash with auto, fill, slow sync, and red-eye reduction
  • Control of image sharpness and saturation
  • 5-area multi-focus system and Spot-AF
  • 256-segment Matrix Metering, Center-weighted or Spot
  • Noise Reduction for long exposures
  • ISO sensitivity Auto or 100, 200, 400 (in manual)
  • Matrix Auto White Balance, 5 presets and custom
  • AE Bracketing with white balance as well as exposure value
  • Exif 2.2 and Epson PRINT Image Matching Technology compatible
  • CompactFlash Type I card slot, 16MB card included
  • Plug-n-Play USB 1.1 connectivity, mass storage compliant
  • One-Touch upload for easy image transfers
  • Can use Coolpix wide, tele and fisheye lenses (with adapter)

Any experience, thoughts or feedback on this, would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

It might be good for lunar and solar shots. Depending on any video capabilities you might try planetary. However, IMHO your limiting factor is the 8s max exposure for a start for any DSO work.

I don't know how much this camera is but you might be better off looking at a DSLR if its main use will be AP.

Is it intended for mostly AP or 'normal' photography? Also what mount and how will it be used?

It would be used for lunar and planetary. It also has a t-thread adapter included. Not sure how that would work? ( as lens does not detach from body). Better suited to afocal imaging I should imagine?

Thanks for the reply

Gary

If you already have the camera you have nothing to lose by having a go. Otherwise the weapon of choice is usually an SLR (Canon EOS) or a webcam.

As Digz says you can probably photograph the moon and planets.

Gary, apologies, I wasn't sure whether you were looking to buy or already had the camera. As gkec, above, says - if you already have it then give it a punt. It will produce results and allow you to learn of the intricacies of AP.

I'm guessing it will attach like this eBay add shows: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-COOLPIX-4300-4-0MP-Digital-Camera-T-Adapter-Telescope-etc-NR-/380637052770?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item589fbc7f62

Hi Lee

I do not own the camera but have the option to buy one. Also, yes, the picture you attached is the way i had in mind of using the camera (directly screwed to focuser). Not sure if it would give better results than the webcam i use at the moment?

Thanks

Gary

Better results than a webcam - its hard to say. My gut feel is for planetary the webcam will win due to sensor size and the apparent crop you get. For lunar I might lean towards the coolpix as you can shoot one shot. Having said that stacking an avi from a webcam allows any variation in seeing and atmospheric distortions to be discounted.

Personally I would persevere with the webcam and save for a DSLR or CCD - are you content with lunar and planetary or do you want to do DSO work?

Better results than a webcam - its hard to say. My gut feel is for planetary the webcam will win due to sensor size and the apparent crop you get. For lunar I might lean towards the coolpix as you can shoot one shot. Having said that stacking an avi from a webcam allows any variation in seeing and atmospheric distortions to be discounted.

Personally I would persevere with the webcam and save for a DSLR or CCD - are you content with lunar and planetary or do you want to do DSO work?

At the moment i'm happy at just lunar and planets as you say, I would like to start looking into DSO imaging, in which a webcam would be no use for that as i have a long focal length scope. Again that brings the question of would a DSLR work with an f8 1200 focal length? ( I do own a 0.5x focal reducer, if that would help)? or would i need a faster say f5 . One scope for planetary and the other for DSO'S.

Regards

Gary

Now we're getting into the detail and out of my knowledge depth. I've managed to image with a DSLR on my 250pds which has a focal length of 1200 but a faster f ratio, see my gallery. Generally for imaging the faster the f ratio the better for light gathering. Using a DSLR at long focal lengths is challenging, so you may want to consider a different scope unless you like a challenge.

I think your comment about one scope for planetary and one for DSO is very true.

Now we're getting into the detail and out of my knowledge depth. I've managed to image with a DSLR on my 250pds which has a focal length of 1200 but a faster f ratio, see my gallery. Generally for imaging the faster the f ratio the better for light gathering. Using a DSLR at long focal lengths is challenging, so you may want to consider a different scope unless you like a challenge.

I think your comment about one scope for planetary and one for DSO is very true.

Yes, I do like a challenge.....this whole hobby seems a challenge in itself ..

Thanks for you're help Lee, I'll keep you updated of any success i may have?

Regards

Gary

Archived