Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magnification?

I have a newtonian on a cg5 mount. I plan on using a dslr for imaging, but I heard that it may be hard to focus a dslr attached to a t-ring, then t-adapter, then to newtonian. After doing some research, I have read there are a few work arounds for this. Either your telescope has an attachment and you can directly connect your camera to t-ring and then to the telescope, completely bypassing the t-adapter. OR, use a barlow between the t-adapter and telescope. My question is, do I need the magnification that a barlow will provide for DSO's and planets, or can I image DSOs without magnification?

Also, although I dont want to put u off, AP is possible with your set up BUT it aint going to be easy as you've got to take into account the weight of your OTA, that takes the mount near to its limit, add a DSLR & your right on the edge, if your going to be guiding aswell, you'll need a guide scope & guide camera which will be to much using the conventional route.DSO & planetary imaging are 2 different things, for DSO's its all about long exposure times but with planetary its better to use a webcam (modified) & take short avi's & stack them to get a good image. A webcam would be better with your set-up. You'll also need at the least an RA motor drive to enable u to track the object ur imaging without inducing star trails.

As I would advise to anyone starting out with AP FIRST buy this book http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html its priceless in so far as, it'll tell u everything u need to know for starting out & it'll save you heaps of $$$$ by letting you know what & what not to buy.

Steve

One problem of putting a barlow in for DSO imaging is that it increases the image size and DSO are generally very dim to start with. Meaning you need more exposures and/or longer exposures. Longer exposures mean you need much better tracking accuracy, which in turn means a bigger, better, more expensive mount. You could guide the main scope but that means guide scope, guide camera, more weight and so a bigger, better, more expensive mount.

If you are considering putting a 10" Newtonian on then you need a pretty big mount, whatever the NEQ6 equivalent, or bigger, is in the US (don't think that Skywatcher sell their products there, if they do then it is on selected lines).

To some extent you have a good visual scope, and have now decided to use it for AP, which it is not suited to. It is both heavy and has a long focal length. Both of which require a substantial mount.

Isn't there a low profile focuser for the scope that would bring the camera sensor closer in.

To an extent by the time you have the newtonian in a state for AP you may be better buying a reasonable ED 80, Stellar Vue or similar, and attaching the DSLR to that.

I forgot to mention that the mount does have RA motor and the the newtonian is an Celestron G8N. The manuals that came with it have section on astrophotography with a DSLR. Since the mount and scope came together, I was assuming it would be able to handle the extra weight of a DSLR.

Dont believe the advertising mate. As ronin said, 10" newt on CG5 for AP with added weight will be too much. If your scope rings have an atachment to screw the DSLR 'on top' of the scope for tracked wide field shots with a lens then that maybe what the seller means?

Archived