Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Berlebach Planet Tripod / Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT mount problem

CeeDee

I purchased a Planet Tripod from the Widescreen Centre here in London and I am extremely pleased with it! However, there is one small problem which I hope you can help me solve:

I am using the Planet to support a Skywatcher AZ EQ6 GT mount, which it does with ease...except when you use this mount in EQ mode, it is impossible to sight through the polar scope for accurate polar alignment. The leg locking levers get in the way. A simple solution to hand, was to use my Skywatcher EQ6 pier which raises the mount sufficiently to enable easy polar scope use. However, the problem then is the AZ 'spike' which when removed from the tripod, has a much smaller thread than the Skywatcher one: you take the spike from the EQ6 tripod and screw it into the corresponding aperture on the pier. Sadly, although the Berlebach one can be accommodated, the nut which secures it then fouls the tube of the pier upsetting the seating of the mount. Apart from getting a file on the job and filing a slot ofor the nut and easy solution would be to obtain an EQ6 AZ 'spike'.

Does anyone have a spare EQ6 AZ 'spike' I can beg or buy from you?

Archived