Solar (Ha) imaging with an Atik 314L+?

JamesF

I've just discovered that the Point Grey Grasshopper camera (or one of them, perhaps -- there seem to be a number of models), sometimes used for solar Ha imaging, uses the same sensor as the 314L+.

Looks like the sensor would easily be big enough to get the entire Sun on a single frame with the standard PST. Has anyone tried it?

James

That's encouraging. I quite like the idea of using camera that will also work for DSO imaging rather than tying up a large amount of cash in one that I'd probably only use for solar imaging.

Did you need to reduce the eyepiece holder height to get the camera to focus or did it "just work"? Which capture software do you use?

Of course if I do the stage 1 mod things will all change again. With the 100RS donor I reckon the 314L might struggle to do a mosaic in two frames.

James

I put the lense from a 2xbarlow on the front of the Atik and that gets focus. My PST also has 3mm shaved off the eyepiece holder but that's irrelevant in this case. I just use Artemis for single shot captures. Here's an example of a shot with the Atik. Can't remember how many subs were stacked though!

post-10318-0-56264200-1368212771_thumb.j

Archived