Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unable to set up Nexstar hand controller

Hi all,

(Telescope is a Celestron C8 SCT VX GOTO) http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c8-sct-vx-goto.html

I have finally got my first telescope all set up in the garden ready for this evening. I have it facing north, level and altitude set to 51.4 degrees (approx). for Bracknell UK.

I have powered up the Nexstar hand controller but have no way of entering my location, time or any other information. It only seems to want to align only. I just can't get to a place in the controller menu to set the relevant information.

Is anyone able to demonstrate or talk me through this, or had a similar issue, as I have watched youtube vids, read the handbook several times and all instructions are not working as they should when put into practice.

Thanks all,

Jason

Do you have the GPS Skysync accessory with it ?

Just thinking that if it is there then maybe it has the location and time already.

Otherwise everyone I have met asks for assorted bits of information.

Do you have the GPS Skysync accessory with it ?

Just thinking that if it is there then maybe it has the location and time already.

Otherwise everyone I have met asks for assorted bits of information.

No unfortunately it does not have GPS skysync. It just appears that the controller possibly is a later version and the instructions do not 'tally' up with what actually happens when turning the system on and attempting to set up..... I will have another play over the weekend and see if I can find another way to decipher the hand set... Ty for the reply.

I saw this on another forum, Its not the same mount (nexstar 4se) but its the same make so it may be of some help?

OK - here's a simple guide - apologies for the length of this post! I've assumed relatively recent software - which deals with the 'UNDO' glitch Peter mentions above - so if you need it upgraded, just pop it into the shop and we do this for free! So - here we go

]1. Let's reset the handset - this will wipe out any incorrect settings so we can start afresh: Press MENU, Select Utilities, then Factory Reset. Hit the '0' button to reset. Turn off the telescope. Finally, turn it back on.

]2. Press ENTER to begin the alignment, and select "SkyAlign" by pressing ENTER again. It will then prompt you to enter a "Custom Site" (like Gary says). You need to work out your longitude and latitude in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds (not as a decimal). iPhones produce this info within the compass app - or just send me a note of your postcode and I'll send the settings right back to you. So let's say you have a latitude of 0 degrees, 12' West - enter 000 12 W. Your longitude will look something like 51 24 N.

]3. It'll ask for the time - just enter this from your watch - ignore the seconds.light Saving Time" or "Standard Time". Daylight Saving Time is the same as British Summer Time (BST) so select that at this time of you (Standard Time in Winter)

]5. It'll also ask you to select your TimeZone. Ours is known as Universal Time - this is what the Americans call "Greenwich Mean Time" - known as "UT" to airline pilots. Anyway, I digress! Just select Universal Time.[

]6. Enter the date. NOTE this is in American format too - so enter the month first (05) then day (02 today) then year (13).

7. It'll then prompt you to select and centre three bright objects - just follow the instructions on your handset. This is MILES easier if you have taken the trouble to align your finderscope with the main optical tube in daylight first

]QUICK PLUG: If you're still having trouble, why not join us for our "Summer Nights of Astronomy" event on 30th May at Meadowbank, Dorking? It's a totally free family evening with barbeque (bring your own meat and picnic), solar observing, astronomy and lots of friends

The problem described is that the scope does not ask for time or DST, which even if it used the last location it should do at each power up. That was why I asked about the GPS module, the scope would get the location and time from that so may not need you to supply it.

I cannot recall exactly what the Nexstar handset requires but Date, Time and DST are the obvious 3.

The location is usually the last one used - which if this is the first time you have used it will need to be entered into the scope.

Have you entered your location?

Odd thought but software can be weird thinking that if it has no location then it may not ask for anything - along the lines of:

If location exists then ask for Date/Time/DST.

Have to suggest the good old hit Reset and enter everything again:

0.8 W or -0.8

51.4 N

Timezone = 0

Mount Type Equitorial (if it needs it)

A good guide to getting started. I have the latest handset for my Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT and you are right, the written instructions are not up to date. Even the latest PDF available from the Celestron website is not fully up to speed either !

Personally if I have to change my location info I do a factory reset. I have found this to be the quickest way.

The menu system does not ask you to confirm or modify your current location at normal switch on which is an error IMO.

From the AVX manual, pp 13 and 14 Startup Procedure, items 2 and 3:

• Turn it on, Press Enter.
  • Instead of pressing Enter after setting the mount to the alignment marks, press BACK.
  • This takes you to the location menu and you can set your position, time zone, DST setting and time.
  • Location can be from the city database or as a Custom site with a latitude and longitude.

Once these are set you don't need to re enter them. The location is remembered and the AVX has a RTC.

There's also a Set Time and Site option in the menu Scope Setup section.

The HC will also prompt for this after as factory reset, but not once it's been set. I guess that FLO turned it on to check it was working.

Chris

Archived