SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dual OTA problem

Hello all,

I am trying to get my head around how I can align both my scopes onto a single object at the same time.

I have an ED80 for DSO A.P. and my Mak 180 for planetary imaging but I don't want to have to keep realigning the Go-to mount from one scope to the other.

I figure that if I can align both scopes to the same object, then I should be able to choose whether to image planets etc or do some DSO work without having to realign the mount each time. I am just about to have my obsy built so the mount will be on a pillar going forward and permanently set up. I want to be able to start from the 'Park' position and image Jupiter (for instance) with the Mak and ASI camera on one night and then next night be able to send the ED80 and DSLR to the whirlpool galaxy (or other DSO) without messing around with the alignment of the mount.

In theory, if both scopes are initially aligned to the same object then I should be able to achieve this, but as both scopes are currently mounted on a dual saddle bar I am not able to adjust the ALT/AZ of either scope independently so can't get a single object into the center of both scopes at the same time.

I am hoping the following...

1 - that all the above is not a complete load of waffle and that people can understand what I am trying to achieve,

2 - that there is maybe some sort of commercially available gizmo that will fit into a standard vixen dovetail that will allow me to adjust one of the scopes up/down/left/right,

3 - that someone has already done this and that it is actually possible.

Here's hoping

Thanks in advance

I use one of these to hold my guide scope: http://www.firstligh...cope-mount.html You can take the "mini saddle" off and bolt your ED80 directly to it. It will allow you to align both scopes. As it is solid enough to hold a guide scope (an ST80) I think it may be a solution for you.

The only other suggestion I can think of is to shim one of your current scopes until you have perfect alignment - it should be possible and could be done in daylight if you have a suitable distant target to view.

I too use the Sky-Watcher Guidescope mount with my dual imaging rig and it works very well indeed. There is a review of the guidescope mount here, showing it in action. This should do exactly what you want but install the shorter focal length telescope on the guidescope mount.

Archived