Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Firmware inconsistency

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, but a couple of nights ago I set up My EQ5 pro and polar aligned it. Polaris was on the circle through120 Degrees of RA rotation so it was a good PA. I then set up my ED80, and the 90 mm guide scope on the mount and tried a two star alignment. First was Arcturus it was way off but I didn't mind thinking that it would correct for the second star, then I chose capella and it was again way off but not as bad the first one. I then set up the guiding to test everything and everything behaved. I then stopped the guiding and slew for Alkaid to hop to M51 from there . It was again way off, I enabled PAE and put the star in the center, then punched in M51, found a star to guide with and set APT to do 33 captures of 180 seconds each. I came in for a cup of tea and on return I checked the captured image on the screen and M51 was no where to be seen. A few nights before that I did the same exercise and every time the objects were in the FOV of the ED80 and the 1000d, the only difference being that I had changed the handset to my AZ SynScan from my 127 Mak and this one has a 3.34 firmware against the 3.26 for the EQ5 SynScan.

I had noticed this inaccuracy in my AZ GoTo as well after I had updated the firmware but put it down to my inexperience and before anyone comments, I am absolutely sure that the parameters were input correctly in the hand set. Has anyone else had the same experience with the newer firmware or is there some other reason for this gross inaccuracy?

Many Thanks and Regards,

A.G

Archived