NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher spare parts

Anyone recommend where I can can some parts please?

Any alternatives to the round bearing points the SW Dob tube sits on - the bearing things that screw into the uprights that the scope side circles sit on and attach it to the mount? I want two of those plus a side circle.

Thanks, Steve

I find the teflon bearings to be quite good. However, if you want, you can replace them with bearings.

I did this, but the movement had even less control as it moved too well. So I replaced the serious quality bearings with some cheapies...

The noise. AARRRGGGGHHHH.

After trying about 10 different ideas including steel bearings one side and teflon the other (when you're trying, you'll try anything).

The long and the short of it is though....

I personally prefer the teflon.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

I'm currently making worm drives so my new dob base will be controlled by a series of knobs. That way, keeping an item in the centre of view will be easier.

I'm also making the ota sit about 18 inches higher so I don't have to lean and crouch all night long.

I've tried quite a few different bearings.

At my work, we make them (different division to mine), and I had one of the guys even custom make a few sets.

But the end result was always, teflon is the best in my opinion.

Anything from cheap and nasty chinese mass manufactured through to double spaced custom. I even tried some white metal bearings but nothing worked. Even the cheapies moved to quickly. And as for the double space, well, I might have dropped the beer and lost all that sweet amber to the lares and penates but caught the ota before it went bang.

Contact Oily (the post above this) and definately go for the delrin rod he's offering. It's close enough to teflon, so it will have basically the same result.

You want it to glide not fly. IMHO

I've got some delrin rod if you fancy making your own?

cheers guys,

Thanks Oily very interested in that Delrin rod. Where can I buy some of that please?

Regarding official SW parts OVL are superb and got back to me straight away. Four month wait for parts to come from china though :(

cheers guys,

Thanks Oily very interested in that Delrin rod. Where can I buy some of that please?

Regarding official SW parts OVL are superb and got back to me straight away. Four month wait for parts to come from china though :(

You can have the rod,just cover the P&P,how much do you need?

You can have the rod,just cover the P&P,how much do you need?

Hi Oily, that's very generous of you. Many thanks. Two and a half to three inches of it say to make two x one inch baring points?

PM me to get this organized if you are still OK to do this ?

Rgds, Steve

Archived