Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5- enough for 130P and SW90 combo?

Butchless1

Having spent a little bit of time building up kit for various roles...

I realise the EQ2 is not going to cut it, if I decide to double stack the 2 scopes mentioned for space in the back room and for ease of having all on 1 tripod...

Can anyone advise if the EQ5 is enough for this....Im not planning on upsizing scopes yet....

Im thinking it opens up a simple option which satisfies the immediate issue and can then be expanded if photography, or upsizing takes hold of the wallet...

Any help appreciated

The EQ5 will handle an 200P for visual observing, so without knowing the weight of the 130P and SW90 I would guess that it should handle the two scopes. However I wouldn't recommend you use this combo for imaging. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've seen a similar post with the same scope and there was comment that the 130P (or could be the 130M) requires the modification to move the main mirror further up the tube so the focal point can reach a camera (such as a dslr) sensor. Also the precision of the EQ5 motors (a driven mount is a must if imaging with long exposures) is not as precise when it comes to tracking with long exposures. For planetary and luna imaging a web cam is ideal, and the EQ5 would be OK for this level of imaging.

If you really want to get into imaging of DSO's then the minimum I would opt for would be a 150P on an HEQ5, with something like an ST80 / QHY5 combo for guiding. If you have a well sheltered spot for observing that's out of the wind, then you could get away with a 200P, ST80 / HEQ5 combo on the same mount.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've seen a similar post with the same scope and there was comment that the 130P (or could be the 130M) requires the modification to move the main mirror further up the tube so the focal point can reach a camera (such as a dslr) sensor.

Your right, you need longer colimation bolts with the 130p to reach focus with a DSLR. I only found this out AFTER I bought the scope, but ah well, live and learn :)

Archived