NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DFK 21AU618.AS Colour for guiding

valleyman

Is it possible to use the DFK 21AU618.AS Colour as a guide camera. it has a USB connection so does not go into the guide port on the Mount

If so what is the best way to do it.

Going to try guiding for the first time and have not got a clue as to what to do so if possible keep it simple please.

Pat

Is it possible to use the DFK 21AU618.AS Colour as a guide camera. it has a USB connection so does not go into the guide port on the Mount

If so what is the best way to do it.

Going to try guiding for the first time and have not got a clue as to what to do so if possible keep it simple please.

Pat

Hi,

I believe that some folks use a webcam for guiding, so with a sensitive camera such as 21-618 there should not be any problem, you may have to use something like a GPUSB to connect the the st4 mount, the camera and the GPUSB connect independetly to tcomputer and the GPUSB to the guideport of your mount.

A.G

Ok thanks for that.

Next question

can I use the C11 as the guide scope with a Skywatcher Evostar 80 bolted to it for DSO astro, or would jt be better to combine the EVO 80 with a Startaravel 80 as the guide scope.

The C11 is great for planet and moon astro, and OK for near DSO,s but a bit to big for Nebula etc.

3rd Option is to use the C11 with a focal reducer and a Star travel as guide scope.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks

Ok thanks for that.

Next question

can I use the C11 as the guide scope with a Skywatcher Evostar 80 bolted to it for DSO astro, or would jt be better to combine the EVO 80 with a Startaravel 80 as the guide scope.

The C11 is great for planet and moon astro, and OK for near DSO,s but a bit to big for Nebula etc.

3rd Option is to use the C11 with a focal reducer and a Star travel as guide scope.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks

Hi,

You can give it a go and see how the guiding works but with such a long focal length you need to do your homework beforehand. I am going to use my scope as a guider.

Regards,

A.G

I use a dmk618 for guiding. Using Eqmod to control the telescope with a EQDIR cable and a netbook.I have a usb hub at the mount which the dmk is connected to and all guiding commands are sent through EQDIR cable to the mount.If you are using PHD the camera will be found under the WINDOWS camera on the drop down.

Going the OFF AXIS route and have order a OAG and GPUSB along with a focal reducer for the C11. Having read tons of stuff the last few days this seems the best route for a long Focal SCT.

Thanks for the advice

Pat

Archived