NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opteka 500mm f/8 Telephoto Mirror Lens

Din

Personally from experience with these i wouldn't waste the money the image quality is really bad and very hard to focus even with the higher priced Nikon,Canon,Tamron ones. You'd be better off getting a Celestron C5 with the proper coatings in my opinion.

I looked at this Opteka but as per above comments it doesn't get particularly good reviews for astro work, so I decided to go for the faster Samyang 500mm f/6.3 instead.... and I've been very pleased with the results. Don't believe all these doom-mongerers who say 500mm mirror lenses are no good ... :wink: ... go for the faster f/6.3 version and you might be pleasantly surprised.... here are some of the shots I've taken with my 500mm mirror...

XmasMoon.jpg

processed1.jpg

InvertMoon-2013-01-27.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

BTW can you double up on the Samyang using a 2x converter? I have some converters for my old Olympus OM10. May need something a bit more modern though.

Ed

BTW can you double up on the Samyang using a 2x converter? I have some converters for my old Olympus OM10. May need something a bit more modern though.

I've never tried I'm afraid as I don't have a 2x converter. Most 500mm mirror lenses come with a standard/universal T2 mount - so you need the appropriate converter ring for your camera body - though I have seen that some 500mm mirror lenses come with a 2x converter thrown in (which I believe screws onto the T2 mount - but might be wrong).

I don't have one for mine as I got it second-hand off fleaBay.

Archived