NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Silly Question......Asteroids?

This may seem silly...or naive of myself, but.......

has anybody viewed asteroids through their telescope up on viewing Jupiter, or even Mars for that matter?

I know they are very small compared to planets, They must give off some light from the reflection of the Sun. Also seeing as there are millions of them, I'd like to know if anybody has actually seen any as an amateur astrologist through their own scope?

Not that i'm looking for.. or expect to see them myself.

Gary

A recent asteroid DA14 was observable and there was a recent poster who posted some photos of some of the larger asteroids although they are only pinpricks of light.

You can see them when viewing planets.

Astrologist !!!! We have to burn you at the stake.

The big ones are visible, with a suitable scope.

Think, but not sure, that heaven-above list them, if not H-A then there is another similar that I could be thinking of. - calsky or something. Rarely use it as it takes my IP address and puts me there, OK for asteroids but not much use for iridium flares etc as there is often 20 or mor miles difference.

Yes, look under heavens-above, Astronomy heading/section.

A recent asteroid DA14 was observable and there was a recent poster who posted some photos of some of the larger asteroids although they are only pinpricks of light.

You can see them when viewing planets.

Astrologist !!!! We have to burn you at the stake.

can't see them when viewing planets, not can.

There are plenty of asteroids out there easily visible with a small telescope, e.g. Ceres and Vesta, and thousands more visible with larger kit. Use Carte du Ciel or Stellarium to find them. They will just look starlike (which is what the word means anyway!).

Yup, they're visible - I took a look at Ceres recently as it was less than 2 degrees from Elnath in Taurus/Auriga. I used Stellarium to check where it was before had, and yup, I could clearly see it in the eyepiece. Pretty straight forward, to be honest. It did look just like a slightly yellowy star - don't expect to see these rocks tumbling through space!

Archived