My First Jupiter Picture - 3rd April - During High Winds!

Michael_E

Hi everyone!

The images shown below are the first I have taken using my new Celestron Nexstar 6SE scope.

Taken using Modded SPC900NC webcam using Baader Neodymium and IR Cut Filter. Captured in Sharpcam, stacked best 50% frames, used wavelets, RGB Align and Balance in Registax 6. Each AVI captured using 1200 frames and 10fps. All the sharpcap info is under each image.

Unfortunately, the wind was very strong that night making the image jump around and go seriously out of focus a lot.

One thing I had trouble with was I had to have the gain and exposure up high as it was dim through the scope. Think this cause a lot of fuzziness on the AVI which I think should'nt be happening.

Jupiter Image #1 without barlow

2Jupiter03_04_201321_14_54JPEG.jpg

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-7

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=-7

Gamma=11

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=34

Jupiter Image #2 with 2x Barlow (Celestron Omni)

4JupiterBigBrighter03_04_201321_24_35JPEG.jpg

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=10.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-6

Brightness=64

Contrast=32

Saturation=-7

Gamma=11

ColorEnable=255

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=41

Thanks for taking the time to look at my images, and please leave feedback on how I can improve, i.e. technique, settings, not choosing a windy day hehe etc. I know the quality of the images are not very good but I am eager to learn.

Fantastic pics.In what way is the SPC900 modded?

Thank you. I bought the camera off e-bay a while ago. The guy added some circuitry to enable the webcam to take long exposure images for deep sky objects. I have not been able to use that option yet but hope to soon when the weather improves.

P.S. Liked your first few pics of Jupiter also. Well done.

Archived