SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A shed load of sky.

Cloudwatcher

I'm still working my way through a number of stills taken earlier in the week with the 3350D. It's amazing the amount of sky that can be encompassed in a single frame with this cameras standard 18-55mm lens even without using the widest setting. Of course you don't get the same level of detail as achieved when the camera body is fitted to a scope but you sure get the bigger picture in one go. :shock:

In one 10sec exposure at f5.6,ISO800 with the lens at 25mm the frame clearly shows three constellations (bar one star) and parts of two others plus two Messier objects and a comet! I'm a sucker for wideviews but even so I don't think anyone (dedicated imagers excepted) could complain that the Canon doesn't give value for your Pound!

CW

There is nothing to beat these types of super widefield shots CW. I absolutely loved the local Astronomy Club slide shows, of members efforts with the simple Scotch Mount drive. As you said, the amount of sky that is captured in a 28mm lens, or a 50mm lens, is incredible.

Milky way arms showing in the longer exposures were a sight to behold, and I often wish I could have relived some of those slide shows, but transferred to CD, and through a digital projector onto a huge screen. Got to be mind blowing man.

Ron.

Archived