Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m38 and ngc1907

Afternoon, An observational question: Observed M38 a few times now and on one occasion I (think!) have seen nebulosity to the SE of the cluster, is this ngc1907 and if it is, is it associated with nebulosity? by the way telescope is SW200p dob

NGC 1907 is a cluster, but could appear nebulous if the magnification were not high enough to resolve it, so try viewing it again with higher power. I'm not aware of it having any associated nebulosity.

The two clusters are not related, and lie some distance apart. According to SIMBAD, the distance of M38 is 1066 parsecs (3477 light years), and NGC 1907 is 1330 parsecs (4338 light years), as measured in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon, An observational question: Observed M38 a few times now and on one occasion I (think!) have seen nebulosity to the SE of the cluster, is this ngc1907 and if it is, is it associated with nebulosity? by the way telescope is SW200p dob

I managed to see NGC 1907 with my SW200p Dob using the stock 25mm EP. It was quite faint, but the 25mm was enough to show that it was a cluster, rather than a nebula.

Enjoy it while we still still have it in our night skies until later in the year :)

Archived