NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount for NP 101

cyborg421

Hi I think I've made a decision to purchase an TV NP101 but whatever scope I choose I'm going to need a mount.

I would like a mount that is strong enough to support the 101 or similar weight scope for visual purposes but ideally a goto and not too heavy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

For visual something like my Vixen Great Polaris (the EQ5 and CG5 are clones) is sufficient for a 4" refractor (it handles my 8" SCT with ease, my 80mm APM is rock solid on it). Maybe the new Celestron VX mount is one for you, very sturdy and not that heavy (www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-advancedvx-mount.html)

The Vixen mounts comes without motors. Whether it can be controlled depends on what GOTO you put on it. If you install Skywatcher Synscan, then yes. If you install a dual axis motor drive, then no.

Vixen has discontinued the Starbook S GOTO (not compatible with Skysafari) and there are no replacement yet. If you want to install GOTO, you need to look for 3rd party options.

If this is for visual use would you want a PC in the field? I certainly wouldn't, and especially with a small aperture. Dark adaptation is everything. I've tried red screens and red acetate but still find they clobber my adaptation.

Olly

If this is for visual use would you want a PC in the field? I certainly wouldn't, and especially with a small aperture. Dark adaptation is everything. I've tried red screens and red acetate but still find they clobber my adaptation.

Olly

Absolutely! I use paper maps (Sky Atlas 2000.0 or Stellarium print-outs) and never use the latter or Carte-du-Ciel outside. I even avoid using the smartphone apps for fear of ruining my night vision. I just have an RA motor on my GP mount, and I even find the green(!!) light on the control box annoying for my night vision. I always put it upside-down or put a black EP cap over it (should just apply duck tape, really). The red display of a goto control box is just about tolerable (I suspect, I just use a massive finder).

Archived