NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've just seen Comet Panstarrs!!!

Very pleased to report that I have managed to catch a wee glimpse of our icy visitor :D Just a few minutes ago fairly low in the south-west, through the tree-tops, through my pair of 7x50s :D I'm pretty certain that it wasn't M31 that I was seeing, I'm sure that I could discern the 'sweep' of the tail .... Such a thrill to see a comet for the first time :D Back in 1986 I tried to see Comet Halley but I really don't think I saw it properly, but I am confident that I've 'bagged' Panstarrs. Maybe tomorrow night i'll set-up my 20x80s and see how it looks through those ..... :D Very happy!!!

1986 and Comet Halley-mania. Yep remember it well.

Well done - I "bagged" Pan Starrs last week and it gave me such a thrill too. Those long cloudy periods of overcast weather are frustrating, but when something like this happens it all becomes worth while, doesn't it?!

Mike

It certainly does Mike :D The cloud up here on the coast near Aberdeen has been constant and depressing .... A fairly clear night tonight for the first time in weeks, pity I can't stay up much longer :( .... Anyway, hopefully more views tomorrow night .... Clear skies :D

Had a fab view tonight, both through binos which gve a lovely widefield view (my kids said it looked like it was whooshing through space - suppose that's pretty accurate really! ) and through my scope - as the sky darkened the tail grew longer and more pronounced. Could have looked at it for hours :grin:

Archived