NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help needed with my binos

claire1985

Just gone outside and I can't get my binos to focus properly, no idea what's wrong with them not used them for a while now, tried to look at Saturn a Couple of nights ago and couldn't focus but put it down to very stingy tired eyes and a pounding headache,

I've turned the round bit on the right eye piece fully both ways but they just won't focus, they're Pentax 10x50s if that helps x

Put a lens cap on the right lens, focus as normal on a star with the left lens and left eye, get it as sharp as you can. Now leave the focus alone. Swap the cap onto the left lens then use the 'round bit' to get sharp focus on the same object with your right eye. You should be able to get focus with both elements, if you can't either your binos are faulty or your eyes are worse that the adjuster allows ... If you remove both lens caps you should now get good focus with both eyes. Don't touch the 'round bit' in normal use - it just sets the binos to your eyes.

If you can get sharp focus individually but it seems wrong with both eyes, try opening and closing eyes alternately - the image should remain stable. If it doesn't the binos are out of collimation and will need more major adjustment.

AndyG

Archived