NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First session in seven weeks.

DazC

Hi all,

Last night (30/3/13) was as the title says, my first session in just over seven weeks for whatever reason or other.

And what a treat it was too.

First i thought i would have a look for comet Panstarrs as i've been reading all the hype about it but not had any chance to observe it yet (very frustrating).

So there i was at the bottom of the garden looking N NW, i only have a very narrow gap to observe low down to my North, between my neighbours house and my shed. So i'm there with a printed finder chart and a smart phone app, thinking that the comet had already set behind the building that is my Northern horizon.

I had my bins on my monopod and just by chance looked into the eyepieces and bang. There it was, clear as day, comet Panstarrs. I didn't have to do any searching at all!

I moved my scope down the garden to get more mag on it, but the whole setup sat too low and i couldn't see over the fence. By now it was a bit darker and i'd switched back to my bins. I couldn't believe how big the tail was. I watched it untill it set below my horizon at 20.40.

I will definately be looking for this comet again in the next few weeks if i can get out.

Next i came inside to warm up and look at stellarium. I hadn't observed Saturn for months and was really looking forward to having a good look again, so i waited for it to rise in the SE, then it was back out in the cold.

Using just my scope now, i found Saturn and just like the first time i ever saw it, i had one of those wow moments. It never fails to amaze me no matter how many times i see it.

I spent a long time looking at Saturn, changing eps and focus to get the best view. But by now it was freezing and my hands were really suffering so i turned and had a quick cheeky look at M13 before calling it a night at around modnight.

I really enjoyed the session and am looking forward to seeing Panstarrs again if possible.

D.C

Archived