NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Colateral obs when comet hunting

mjpfc

Missed C/2011 l4 Last night due to clouds and murk, so got up at 4am to have another go as it rose again in the northeast.

After walking across town to a car-park with a low NW view, I managed to see M31 in my binos (very faint smudge), then star-hopped down to tha Comets; position, I must say it is still a beatufil little thing, but appears less than the mag 2 promulgated, I would say around Mag 4.

Having watched until I was shaking a little with the cold I returned home, and on turning up Station Avenue Sandown from the lower end I looked up the street and right on cue the ISS just appeared in upper Coma Bernices in the West. It sailed majestically down the road over my head passing Cor Caroli, Vega, and down through Pegasus towards Cetus in the East.

The bigger and more reflective it has become the better it looks and is a stunning thing to watch gliding silently overhead.

Apart from seeing Panstarrs for the 1st time since the 17th (Bad weather) I had a second reason to be glad I hauled myself out into the cold

in the wee hours.

The weather in Britain needs some effort to overcome at times, but those efforts are well worth it.

Clear skies, Mick IOW

Archived