Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Different stacking modes in DSS

Just wanted to share my experience about different stacking modes in Deep Sky Stacker.

1. General settings

2. Median Kappa Sigma

3. Median Kappa Sigma with Drizzle 3X (Next time I think I'll just use 2X. Alot of memory consumption)

I think 3 is best followed by 2 and 1 is worst. At least for me. This is taken by a 5D Mk3 and a 70-200/2.8. 100 % crops. (Well not the Drizzle since it increases the size, so that one i scaled down to original pixeldensity)

Everything is smoother, less noise, rounder stars (not blocky and pixelated), better colors. Everything is postedited the same.

/Stefan

post-29350-0-03987600-1364465478_thumb.j

post-29350-0-29222800-1364465480_thumb.j

post-29350-0-01805200-1364465484_thumb.j

There are things you should consider when choosing stacking algorithm... Primarily, the number of subs. Sigma stacking only works well when you have at least 16 subs. The DSS recommend settings dialog will suggest the best stacking method based on your data.

I actually think that #3 is not the best result. If you look at the core detail, you'll notice it's blurry in #3, but not in the other 2 versions. Why this is the case, I'm not sure? :-S

What stacking algorithm did you use for #1? How many subs were you stacking?

60 lights, 60 darks and 60 bias.

DSS always has recommended standard(or Wahl its faller one the top of all choices)

Nr 3 is not blurry, its the other that are more nojset.

The difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 has been resized during stacking and resized back by me in LR to be as small as the other two images. A sideeffect of drizzle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived