Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first moon viewing

had a look towards the west looking for panstarrs, noticed a clear sky and the moon( not seen it since i had my scope) took scope outside to cool, looking through the 25mm ep it looked amazing changed to the 10mm ep and it took my breath away, wish i had a 7mm ep :( cant wait to see it again (hopefully)

had a look towards the west looking for panstarrs, noticed a clear sky and the moon( not seen it since i had my scope) took scope outside to cool, looking through the 25mm ep it looked amazing changed to the 10mm ep and it took my breath away, wish i had a 7mm ep :( cant wait to see it again (hopefully)

The moon does look great at the moment, lots of detail on the terminator even through my trusted 10x50 bins

Hi Jon, looks as if the moon might be a future observing target for you which is great as there is plenty to see there through the changing positions of the terminator (...the line where light meets shadow) which can reveal the moons surface in great detail. The moon traditionally gets a bad rap due to the way its reflective shine makes many deep sky objects more difficult to find and washed out in appearance but the moon can provide some amazing views and will never disappoint - after all its our nearest neighbour!

For future reference you might want to take a look at this website which will certainly show you the moon in a bit more detail (.... a big understatement! :grin:) I use it when reading the 'Moon Watch' article in the Sky@Night magazine which was previously written by Sir Patrick but I see from from recent issues has now been taken on Pete Lawrence which is good news. In addition, you might also want to take a look at this list called the Lunar 100 which details features that can be viewed through the changing phases of the terminator mentioned above and will certainly help you discover the moon's topography and will certainly keep you occupied for a fair while! :grin: :grin: This is an enlargement of the lunar map in the above link which is a little easier to view.

Clear skies and happy hunting!

James

Archived