NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 vs CG5

The Warthog

I think the CG5 is 'roughly' equivalent to the EQ5 but it has GOTO. The HEQ5 on the other hand is superior (So I have heard,dont shootme down :D) as it has a higher load capacity and does not sound like a coffee grinder :D

In fairness to MADD, I'm making a new thread. The EQ5 comes in a goto flavour now, at a price roughly equivalent to the CG5. But by one of those miracles of marketing, I can get one with a C6N on it for less than the price of either the EQ5 or the CG5 goto mounts. Actually buying one will take a bit of social engineering with my wife. Maybe in winter though, because she once said something about "a cold day before I'll let you spend that much on a telescope..." Canadians have their windows closed against the cold in winter, and against the heat in summer, so the noise of the mount shouldn't be an issue.

The GOTO CG5 (ASGT) is a fine mount really, and sometimes gets a bad press as it's often compared to the HEQ5. But (at least in the UK) the difference in price puts the two in different ball parks. For the price you can't really go wrong, the CG5 is great, even if it is DAMN LOUD!

If you get one, get one with an OTA and either sell your existing OTA or sell the brand new one. Your 105 will sit beautifully on the CG5 and last you many many years

Having just bought a C8NGT and only had a chance to 'test run' it in the garage due to poor weather and other stuff I can only say that all the reports I have heard about them being noisy are a bit iffy??

I dont think it is any louder than my SLT mount and that was perfectly acceptable. I think it is a good mount for the money and at a little over half the price of a similar HEQ5 goto set up I think it is great value.

I have read a good few reports on these mounts prior to buying it on severla forums and I think I only saw 1 where the guy was having a bit of trouble with it, not sure how he got on though as I cant remeber where I was reading it....... :D

Was going to go out with it tonight but my beloved wanted to go watch fire works so hopefully the scope will get 1st light tomorrow night.

Gary A

Indeed Gordon, it's only REALLY noisy when it's slewing at full speed towards objects, if you're manually locating objects at a slower speed it's not that noisy at all. Problem is though, there is no way of slowing it down for slewing when it's 'going to' :D.

Tony..

Archived