Nexus or SkyFi? Any suggestions?

Hi All,

Considering getting one of these for my impending b'day. I would like to be able to control my LXD75 using SkySafari.

The biggest issues I have with the decission are:

1) The nexus seems to be more feature packed, so I can use it on for example a DOB if I ever get a different scope.

2) The SkyFi seems to only be available from the US, which will cost about $219 + any customs tax.

3) The Nexus is available from http://www.equatorial-platforms-uk.co.uk/nexus/goto-scopes at £195 + a few quid for delivery, so the price is about the same.

4) It looks like it will be easier to power the Nexus from my power tank (when I build it)

Does anyone use these, if so can you offer any tips/suggestions?

yep I have nexus and use it with my dob and think its great. You can power it with a small 12v battery.

post-20507-0-04224400-1362693866_thumb.j

For info buying from the states will cost a lot more than you think. I was recently looking at buying a lumicon uhc filter for 120us, shipping was 70us vat another 20pc and the post office were going to charge £8 to collect it. So 120us turned into about 230 and this was assuming I wouldn't have had to pay customs which kicked in at £120 I think.

That's good that you can by Skyfi over here. You should also be aware that if you buy nexus to use with a dob you will also have to buy two encoders and fittings. If you're good at DIY you could manage the fittings yourself but there's no escaping the encoders.

Archived