My first rookie question....

...sorry there will be more as I am an absolute beginner and paid no attention in any of this at school. Dosser....

I've downloaded Stellarium in preparation for the arrival of my son's (all his, not mine at all *cough*) telescope. I am now trying to input my coordinates. Apparently I missed the bit at school where they explain this as what I have doesn't look like what they have.

How in the name of holy moley do I put this

Longitude: -0.717 Latitude: 51.267 Altitude: 76
into Stellarium? Or is that actually wrong? I tried putting it in experimentally and it either didn't work or moved me to Mongolia. I'm not even joking!

Thanks in advance :grin:

Try Farnborough or Aldershot as a location, your's may be too small a place to be in the list of towns supplied.

Both are in the list of towns presented by hitting F6, just scroll down the list and pick either. Being alphabetic Aldershot appears first.

Also this may be of use for you:

http://www.guildfordas.org/public/activities.html

They hold observing evenings and talks, link is to the observing, just no dates seem to be supplied, so possibly email asking for dates etc. They will most likely be holding a couple of nights looking at Saturn in a month ot two, and most likely through a large scope or two.

Have a look at this website http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm put in your town and postcode it should tell you your exact location. If you look under the map you'll see three lines of results you want to enter the info in the second and third lines not the first line to your handset. Hth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

But yes, that's a pretty accurate picture otherwise.....

I'm not going to lie, I actually considered that as a possibility. I decided to take a punt on the picture in my head being right, I shot from the gut. I can imagine your huband being equally impressed and confused though, probably more so, that’s quite a lot to carry!

I'm not going to lie, I actually considered that as a possibility. I decided to take a punt on the picture in my head being right, I shot from the gut. I can imagine your huband being equally impressed and confused though, probably more so, that’s quite a lot to carry!

Damn mis-quoting :mad:

Lol he just rolls his eyes.... He was expecting his boy to be a little football fan. He wasn't anticipating getting a little super-brain science geek! I reckon the boy and I can get him interested once we get the hang of it.... :)

Archived