1. Learn the locations of the planets, constellations etc.

2. Get any binoculars you have out, and look at some objects (Jupiter's Moons, Pleiades, Orion Nebula etc)

3. Download this free AMAZING software www.stellarium.org/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's here and I've just finished setting it up :) the setup was pretty simple I just hope it now doesn't fall apart! It's too cloudy to go out with however

Hi Take your scope through as it is a workshop meeting, loads of new observers this winter have brought there gear to run over how it works.

If its clear there is a set up area where you can observe from with your scope. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Dave

As a newbie myself, I feel it worth passing on a few things I've learned here and elsewhere.

First thing. HAVE FUN!!!

Second. spend time using nothing but your eyes and either a planisphere or an app. I learned a bit when I was younger, but am now remembering lots of it and developing new skills to be able to identify various points in space. To be able to look up and say 'that's orion and there's the cloud' or 'that's sagitarius, my starsign' is really quite cool.

You've got what seems a really good scope to crack off with, and I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Thanks Hz - the scope was recommended by FLO / Badger Astro as the one to go for its all setup and it looks amazing - but damn clouds probably Monday before reasonably clear

HI To travel to dark sites everyone dismantles their scope to some degree for transportation. Normally breaks down to the tube assembly, the mount and the tripod. Then re-assemble at the location for alignment. The sooner you start doing this the quicker the set up will be in future.

Dave

I'm sure it's more robust than I believe at the moment I kept a few bits of foam and bubble wrap from the original packaging for such eventualities.

I now have a borrowed DSLR which is a Nikon, not only am I new with the telescope but this DSLR has more settings and switches than a 747! Having never owned / used one before this is going to be quite the learning curve

I'm sure it's more robust than I believe at the moment I kept a few bits of foam and bubble wrap from the original packaging for such eventualities.

I now have a borrowed DSLR which is a Nikon, not only am I new with the telescope but this DSLR has more settings and switches than a 747! Having never owned / used one before this is going to be quite the learning curve

The DSLR will be great for moon shots, but for planets I'd definately look up a Phillips SPC900. It has a very tiny low res sensor, but it is very sensitive. The small scale of the sensor acts almost like a zoom compared to using a DSLR. It puts more useful pixels on the subject.

This Saturn shot was one of my first goes with the CCD camera. I reckon I could get a better one when it comes into view again.

post-15011-0-49724200-1363019156_thumb.j

Archived